*

*

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Midnight Conversation

I've never actually seen
a monster,
and I've been alive
a long time,
so there's probably
no reason to worry.

Probably.

I suppose, if I think about it,
there was that time
in Michigan,
when I stayed up
way past my bedtime,
talking and laughing
with my cousins
instead of sleeping.

We all heard it --
a low growl.

But that could have been anything.
Honestly.

But then again ...

Maybe it was a kind of monster
that is attracted by
the sound of children
who can't stay in their beds.

I guess, having no documented proof,
the possibilities are wide open.

There could be creatures
that live under beds
or in closets
or in the vents,
and feed off of the
disobedience of
boys too wound up
to be still hours after
prayers have been said
and goodnight kisses
distributed.

In theory, I mean.

But I doubt any little boy
has ever actually been eaten by one.
Don't you?

Why not
get back in bed and be very, very still,
just to be on the safe side.

Sleep tight.

3 comments:

Susy said...

Love this one Kev!!!!

kev99sl said...

Thanks Suz, especially since you were one of the "cousins" mentioned. Ha!

Susy said...

I'm picturing the gorilla mask.... enough said!